Pictured: 2023 Toyota Corolla XSE
Pictured: 2022 Honda Civic SI HPT
$23,950 (2024) / $24,750 (2023)Our Take
The Toyota Corolla, currently in its 12th generation, is the best-selling car in the world. It's practical, fuel efficient and has a long history of Toyota reliability.
Toyota's done a fantastic job over recent years upping the compact commuter sedan's excitement factor with great styling, sporty trims and the new hot-hatch model the GR Corolla.
We've called the 2023 model "an exceptional model year" in our XSE review.
At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with the Toyota Corolla. Always an excellent choice for those looking for a compact sedan, its safety and tech upgrades make the 2023 model feel like a new Corolla and one that's an exceptional value.
The award-winning Honda Civic was named North American Car of the Year following its redesign in 2022, and for good reason.
The 11th-generation model is a compelling compact sedan: it's sporty and stylish, it's fun and engaging to drive, and offers passengers a roomy cabin, all while being practical and fuel efficient making it a great commuter car. It also offers impressive features for the money making it a great value.
The Civic is also available in high performance variants including the Si and the Type R hot-hatch.
If you're shopping for a compact sedan, the Civic should be on your list if you're looking for an affordable sedan with a sporty feel, engaging ride, great fuel economy and safety features.What's New
For 2023, the Corolla arrives with some notable updates. They include exterior design tweaks, new exterior colors and newly standard LED daytime running lights, along with terrific technology and safety upgrades that include a new standard 8-inch multimedia touchscreen with Toyota's next-gen multimedia system and Toyota Safety Sense 3.0.
The lineup also expands with four new hybrid grades, including a more powerful hybrid system and available all-wheel drive. (The XLE is now hybrid-only.) The L grade goes away for 2023 and the LE becomes the base model (the most popular grade). It's now equipped with a more powerful and efficient gas engine.
SE and XSE grades also come with upgraded standard equipment.
Deciding between a new or used Corolla? Here's a list of our Corolla reviews.
The 2024 Civic lineup adds a new hybrid powertrain.
For 2023 there is a newly expanded Honda Sensing safety suite. Also for 2023, the LX trim level rejoins the Civic Sedan lineup for 2023 and the EX trim is now available with or without the blind spot information system.
Deciding between a new or used Civic? Here's a list of our Civic reviews.Pros
- Lower entry-level price
- More powerful base gas-only engine
- Great safety and tech upgrades for 2023
- New Toyota Audio Multimedia System is standard
- Engaging steering feel and driving dynamics
- Roomier; More 2nd-row legroom
- Comfortable redesigned cabin
- More cargo space
- Not as engaging to drive
- Not as much cargo space
- Higher entry-level price point
- Base engine isn't as powerful
LE: 35 mpg
SE/XSE: 34 mpg
Sport: 33 mpg
EX: 36 mpg
Touring: 34 mpgCity
LE: 35 mpg
Sport: 30 mpg
EX: 33 mpg
Touring: 31 mpgHighway
LE: 41 mpg
SE/XSE: 40 mpg
Sport: 37 mpg
EX: 42 mpg
Touring: 38 mpg
Multimedia / Audio
- 4.2-in. Color TFT Multi-Information Display
- 8-in. Toyota Audio Multimedia
- 6-speaker sound system
- Wireless Apple CarPlay® & Android Auto™ compatible, SiriusXM® availability
- Integrated Backup Camera with projected path
- 7-in. Color TFT Multi-Information Display
- 9 speaker JBL® Premium Audio w/8-in. touchscreen, wireless Apple CarPlay®, wireless Android Auto™ & Amazon Alexa compatible
- 7-Inch Color Touchscreen with Bluetooth, Hondalink
- 7-Inch TFT Meter Display
- 4-speaker audio
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 9-Inch Color Touchscreen with Bluetooth, Hondalink, HD Radio, Sirius XM
- 8 Speaker audio
- 12 speaker Bose® Premium Sound System
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with Voice Recognition and Realtime Traffic
- One 12V auxiliary power outlets
- Two front and two rear USB C ports
- Wireless smartphone charging
- 2.5-Amp USB Smartphone/Audio Interface) 1 port front console
- Wireless charging
- 2.5-Amp USB Charging Port - 1 port front console / 2nd row - 2 ports.
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
Standard ADASToyota Safety Sense 3.0:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, with low light pedestrian detection and daytime cyclist detection
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist and road edge detection with Sway Warning System
- Auto High Beams
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - - Road Sign Assist
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) (LE & SE Package; XSE Standard)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Star Safety SystemTM – includes Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brack-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- Electric Parking Brake (EPB)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
Other Standard Safety:
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Collision Mitigation Braking System™
- Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM)
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow
- Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)
- Auto High-Beam Headlights
Traffic Jam Assist
- Rear Seat Reminder
- Seat-Belt Reminder for all Seating Positions
- Blind Spot Information (BSI)
- Low Speed Braking Control
- Parking Sensors (4 Front & 4 Rear)
- Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with Traction Control
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
- Brake Assist
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Ten airbags – includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, driver knee airbag, front passenger seat cushion airbag, rear seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Three-point seatbelts for all seating positions; driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts
- Adjustable front shoulder anchors, driver and front passenger seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Energy-absorbing collapsible steering column
- Front and rear energy-absorbing crumple zones with side-impact door beams
- Head-impact protection structure
- High-tensile-strength steel body panels
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Engine Immobilizer
- Driver's and Front Passenger's Advanced Front Airbags (SRS)
- Driver's and Front Passenger's Knee Airbags (SRS)
- Driver's and Front Passenger's Front Side Airbags
- Rear Outboard Passenger's Side Airbags
- Side Curtain Airbags with Rollover Sensor
- 3-Point Seat Belts at all Seating Positions
- Front and Outboard Rear 3-Point Seat Belts with Automatic Tensioning System
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH): Lower Anchors (2nd-Row Outboard), Tether Anchors (2nd-Row All)
- Child-Proof Rear Door Locks
LE, SE, XSE: 169 horsepower
LX/Sport: 158 horsepower
EX/Touring: 180 horsepowerTorque (lb-ft)
LE, SE, XSE: 151 lb.-ft.
LX/Sport: 138 lb.-ft.
EX/Touring: 177 lb.-ft.Fuel Tank Capacity (gal)
LE, SE, XSE: 13.2 gallons
12.4 gallonsCurb Weight (lbs)
2,955 lbs. (LE)
3,110 lbs. (SE)
3,150 lbs. (XSE)