Pictured: 2023 Elantra Limited
Pictured: 2023 Toyota Corolla XSE
$21,700 (2023)Our Take
The Elantra is an award-winning compact sedan that was named 2021 North American Car of the Year following its all-new, edgy, redesign.
While the base engine is lackluster when it comes to horsepower, the lineup has more powerful options including an N Line and performance N model. The lineup also offers a hybrid variant.
The Elantra sits low to the ground and provides sportier driving dynamics than some of the competition.
The Elantra offers excellent technology and driver assistance features for a great value, with the lineup starting from roughly $21,000, though you'll cross the $27,000 mark for the top-of-the-line model.
Overall, the Elantra is a value-packed compact sedan with a sporty style that is anything but boring.
The Toyota Corolla, currently in its 12th generation, is the best-selling car in the world. It's practical, fuel efficient and has a long history of Toyota reliability.
Toyota's done a fantastic job over recent years upping the compact commuter sedan's excitement factor with great styling, sporty trims and the new hot-hatch model the GR Corolla.
We've called the 2023 model "an exceptional model year" in our XSE review.
At the end of the day, you really can't go wrong with the Toyota Corolla. Always an excellent choice for those looking for a compact sedan, its safety and tech upgrades make the 2023 model feel like a new Corolla and one that's an exceptional value.What's New
A refreshed 2024 Elantra goes on sale this fall. It includes design tweaks inside and out as well as more standard safety and expanded tech offerings.
For 2023, the Elantra was a carryover model with minor changes.
Deciding between a new or used Elantra? We've reviewed it several times since 2019. Here's a list of those reviews.
For 2023, the Corolla arrives with some notable updates. They include exterior design tweaks, new exterior colors and newly standard LED daytime running lights, along with terrific technology and safety upgrades that include a new standard 8-inch multimedia touchscreen with Toyota's next-gen multimedia system and Toyota Safety Sense 3.0.
The lineup also expands with four new hybrid grades, including a more powerful hybrid system and available all-wheel drive. (The XLE is now hybrid-only.) The L grade goes away for 2023 and the LE becomes the base model (the most popular grade). It's now equipped with a more powerful and efficient gas engine.
SE and XSE grades also come with upgraded standard equipment.
Deciding between a new or used Corolla? Here's a list of our Corolla reviews.Pros
- Roomier for passengers and cargo
- More engine options including a high-performance model
- More available advanced driver assist technology
- Outstanding warranty
- Best base powertrain in terms of horsepower and torque
- New Toyota Multimedia System
- Great updates for 2023
- Excellent history of reliability
- Lackluster base powertrain
- Less expensive starting MSRP
- Not as roomy for passengers
- Less cargo space
SE: 37 mpg
SEL/LIMITED: 34 mpg
N LINE: 31 mpg
BLUE HEV: 55 mpg
LIMITED HEV: 50 mpg
LE: 35 mpg
SE/XSE: 34 mpgCity
SE: 33 mpg
SEL/LIMITED: 33 mpg
N LINE: 28 mpg
BLUE HEV: 53 mpg
LIMITED HEV:49 mpg
LE: 35 mpgHighway
SE: 42 mpg
SEL/LIMITED: 40 mpg
N LINE: 26 mpg
BLUE HEV: 56 mpg
LIMITED HEV: 52 mpg
LE: 41 mpg
SE/XSE: 40 mpg
Multimedia / Audio
- 4.2-inch color (TFT-LCD)
- 8-inch Display Audio system High Resolution Touchscreen with rearview camera with Dynamic Guidance and Bluetooth, HD radio
- Standard 4 speaker audio
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 10.25-inch color TFT-LCD
- 10.25-inch Navigation system with rearview camera with Dynamic Guidance, AM/FM/HD/SirusXM® Satellite Radio/ Android Auto & Apple CarPlay,
- 6 speaker audio
- Bose 8 speaker audio
- Dynamic Voice Recognition
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 4.2-in. Color TFT Multi-Information Display
- 8-in. Toyota Audio Multimedia
- 6-speaker sound system
- Wireless Apple CarPlay® & Android Auto™ compatible, SiriusXM® availability
- Integrated Backup Camera with projected path
- 7-in. Color TFT Multi-Information Display
- 9 speaker JBL® Premium Audio w/8-in. touchscreen, wireless Apple CarPlay®, wireless Android Auto™ & Amazon Alexa compatible
- Standard Dual USB ports (1 charge + data, 1 charge)
- 12-volt Outlet
- Wireless charging
- Bluelink Connected Car Services
- One 12V auxiliary power outlets
- Two front and two rear USB C ports
- Wireless smartphone charging
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
- Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA) w/ Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCA)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) & Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW) & High Beam Assist (HBA)
- Safe Exit Warning (SEW)
- Safe Exit Warning & Rear Occupant Alert
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA - camera only) w/ Pedestrian Detection
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist w/ Pedestrian, Cyclist and Junction-Turning Detection (sensor fusion type)
- Smart Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go (SCC & S&G)
- Parking Distance Warning – Reverse & Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist – Reverse (PCA-R)
- Highway Drive Assist (HDA)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control System (ESC) with Traction Control System
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Brake Assist
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Toyota Safety Sense 3.0:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, with low light pedestrian detection and daytime cyclist detection
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist and road edge detection with Sway Warning System
- Auto High Beams
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Road Sign Assist
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) (LE & SE Package; XSE Standard)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Star Safety SystemTM – includes Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brack-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology® (SST)
- Electric Parking Brake (EPB)
- Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
- Driver (1)
- Front Passenger
Occupant Classification System (OCS)
- Driver and Front Passenger Side-impact (2)
- Side Air Curtains (front and rear passengers)
- Event Data Recorder
- 3-point/ELR Driver seat belt
- 3-point/CLR front passenger and rear seats
- Adjustable Front-seat Shoulder Belt Anchors
- Front Seatbelt Pretensioners
- LATCH Lower Anchors and Upper Tether Anchors
- Power Window Lock-out Button
- Child safety locks (rear)
- Energy-absorbing Steering Column
- Front and rear Crumple Zones
- Body side Reinforcements
- Shift Interlock System
- Anti-theft System integrated with Remote Keyless Entry and Panic
- Emergency Trunk Release
- Front crash box and straightened side members
- High-tensile steel and hot-stamping method for side body
- Front seatbelt anchor pre-tensioner
- Rear door dual beams
- Smart Pedal
- Ten airbags – includes driver and front passenger Advanced Airbag System, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags, driver knee airbag, front passenger seat cushion airbag, rear seat-mounted side airbags, and front and rear side curtain airbags
- Three-point seatbelts for all seating positions; driver-side Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) and Automatic/Emergency Locking Retractor (ALR/ELR) on all passenger belts
- Adjustable front shoulder anchors, driver and front passenger seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters
- Driver and front passenger Whiplash-Injury-Lessening (WIL) seats
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) includes lower anchors on outboard rear seats and tether anchors on all rear seats
- Child-protector rear door locks
- Energy-absorbing collapsible steering column
- Front and rear energy-absorbing crumple zones with side-impact door beams
- Head-impact protection structure
- High-tensile-strength steel body panels
- Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Engine Immobilizer
SE / SEL / LIMITED: 147 horsepower
N LINE: 201 horsepower
N: 276 horsepower
LE, SE, XSE: 169 horsepowerTorque (lb-ft)
SE / SEL / LIMITED: 132 lb.-ft.
N LINE: 195 lb.-ft.
N: 289 lb.-ft.
LE, SE, XSE: 151 lb.-ft.Fuel Tank Capacity (gal)
SE, SEL, LIMITED, BLUE: 12.4 gallons
N LINE/N: 12.4 gallons
LE, SE, XSE: 13.2 gallonsCurb Weight (lbs)
SE, SEL, LIMITED: 2,725 – 2,868 lbs.
N Line Manual: 2,954 / N LINE Automatic: 3,020 pounds.
N Manual: 3,186/ N Automatic: 3,296 pounds.
2,955 lbs. (LE)
3,110 lbs. (SE)
3,150 lbs. (XSE)Towing