This week I am having a really good time reviewing the refreshed 2022 BMW X3 M40i. This is officially a compact SUV, but is one of the larger ones on the market, and I actually consider it a near midsized SUV.
For 2022, the X3 sports new headlights and taillights, distinct lines, and of course the classic BMW two-piece grill. The 20” wheels with red brake calipers look fantastic. The entire vehicle looks more slim and trim, but at the same time muscular.
Under the hood sits a 3-liter inline six-cylinder engine that incorporates a 48-volt mild hybrid system for more horsepower. It is putting out 382-horses and 369-pound feet of torque. It will take you from 0-to-60 in a quick 4.5-seconds and is mated to an 8-speed automatic with shift paddles. All X3 M40is are all-wheel drive.
The interior of the X3 looks great and the front seats are comfortable and not overly-bolstered. There is limited stitching throughout the interior, but overall, it is well done. I like the off-white color of the seats.
When you fire up the X3, a colorful 10.25” digital gauge cluster comes to life and you can configure it a number of ways. Look into the windshield to see a terrific head-up display.
High on the center stack is another 10.25” monitor that operates the iDrive 7 system. It can be operated from a round dial on the console or by touchscreen.
This is where you operate the sound system, navigation system, Bluetooth, car settings, and there is a page of apps to access. You can also operate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, wirelessly.
The center console gives you control of the drive modes, (which includes my fav, Sport Plus), the Auto Hold button, and park assist, plus the rotary dial for the screen.
Moving to the back seat, it is quite roomy and those passengers can control their own temperature, turn on the heated seats, and there are two USB ports.
Cargo area in the rear is very spacious, and there is a sliding cargo cover to protect valuables. The tailgate is power and can be activated with the key fob or handsfree by moving your foot under the bumper.
You can also activate Caring Car, a neat feature that has the option to set the car to Vitalize or Relax modes. The choice of this setting automatically adjusts the temperature of the cabin, changes the music, and opens or closes the windows depending on what the driver is looking for.
This is a BMW, so it comes well equipped. My review vehicle has a panoramic moon roof, keyless entry, leather, heated front and rear seats, a heated steering wheel, LED headlights and tail lights, and interior ambient lighting.
On the safety front, you get blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, front collision warning, lane departure warning, and park assist.
Ride and Drive
BMWs have a unique drive and this one is terrific. Acceleration is fantastic, the handling firm and stable, I love the steering feedback, and the exhaust sound is music to my ears.
Fuel economy is OK for the horsepower you get. It is rated at 21 city and 26 highway. MSRP is $64,290, which is in line with other performance SUVs on the market.
Bottom line, this is a hot, fast SUV that handles great and is a lot of fun to drive. If you don’t need a 3rd row seat, this is a super enjoyable vehicle.
- What I Liked Most: Driving dynamics and interior.
- What I would change: I’d like to see that MSRP under $60,000 but it is not out of line by today’s standards.
- MSRP: Base price: $57,800, as equipped: $64,290.
- Official Color: Phytonic Blue Metallic.
- Fuel Economy: 21 city/26 highway/23 combined.
- Odometer reading when tested: 1,300 miles.
- Weight: 4,392-pound curb weight-5,566 GVWR
- Spare Tire: None. Run flat tires..
- Length-Width-Height: 185.9” long/74.7” wide/66” high.
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 17.2 gallons with the filler on the passenger side.
- Towing Capacity: 4,400 pounds.
- 2022 BMW X3 M40i in a few words: A truly fun to drive SUV that will satisfy your need for speed, but makes a great daily driver.
- Warranty: 4-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper with roadside assistance, 3-years/36,000 miles of free maintenance.
- Final Assembly Location: Spartanburg, SC.
- Manufacturer's website: BMW