Today, we are taking a look at the 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 RST Crew Cab, which stands for Rally Sport Truck. This model falls sort of in the middle of the Silverado lineup.
Let’s start under the hood where you find the very-proven 5.3-liter V8 that is putting out 355-horses and 383-pound feet of torque. It is hooked to an 8-speed automatic transmission. My tester is a two-wheel drive, but of course, you can get it in four-wheel drive.
This Silverado sports the new front fascia that debuted in 2019 and the black bowtie instead of the usual gold one. This new design seems to polarize some people, while others actually like it. The re-do has been very successful for Chevy from a sales standpoint, even with shortened production due to the Coronavirus. The 20” wheels look terrific, and overall I find this truck to look very sharp.
Moving to the inside, I have to admit the interior is fairly plain and needs some updating to keep up with F-150 and Ram. The front bucket seats are comfortable, but the amount of plastic is a bit overwhelming. The only use of wood is a small area on the door panels. Stitching around the inside is sparse.
I keep thinking GM designers will put a console shifter in this truck, but they opted instead to stick with the steering column shifter to give you more center console room. On the plus side, the console is very large, has a couple of USBs inside, and a nice touch-is it has a light inside and there are lots of places to put your cell phone.
On the dash is an 8” touchscreen that is easy to operate. It includes a Bose stereo, 4G LTE Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HD radio, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
You will also find a trailering app, and swipe to the left and you can program your own apps, operate OnStar, save your camera settings, and use the Marketplace app to order Starbucks or Dominos pizza.
Under the air conditioning controls is a row of buttons that lets you turn off start/stop, turn on the 110-volt power source inside the bed, a button to roll all four windows down at once, and something really cool, you can lower the tailgate from inside. There are also USB outlets, an outlet for 110-volt power, and also a cigarette lighter power plug.
Head and legroom for all occupants is cavernous, and back seat passengers get air vents, power supply, and their own USB ports. Fold the seats up from the bottom for a huge cargo area out of the weather.
Standard Equipment and Options
Standard equipment gives you keyless entry, remote start, LED headlights and taillights, and steering wheel controls.
Since the RST is a fairly basic truck, this one has $9,000 in options that include: power heated seats in front, trailer towing package, heated steering wheel, and power sliding rear window.
You also get leather interior, park assist, lane change assist with blind spot monitoring, and the trailer towing package.
The fuel economy of the truck is good for a pickup at 17 city, 23 highway, and 19 overall.
Ride and Drive
The Silverado is whisper quiet in the cab, and the truck drives really well. Although big, it handles well and the turning radius is good.
What You’ll Pay
Total MSRP on this one is $51,890, but most markets at this time have rebates that total $5000 or more, which makes this a good value.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST Crew Cab
- What I liked most: The value for the money in this truck market.
- What I would change: Upgrade to the interior.
- MSRP: Base $41,200, as equipped $51,890 with transportation.
- Fuel Economy: 17 City/23 Highway, 19 combined.
- Fuel Tank: 24 gallons with filler on the driver’s side.
- Dimensions: 241.2” long/81.2” wide/75.3” high.
- Weight: 4,674 pounds.
- Trailer Towing: Up to 9,700 pounds properly equipped.
- Miles When Tested: 5100 miles
- Official Color: Northsky Blue Metallic.
- Spare tire: Full-sized spare.
- Final Assembly Point: Silad, Mexico.
- 2020 Silverado in a few words: A truck you can be proud of but that won’t break the bank.
- Warranty: 3-year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 5-year 60,000 mile powertrain with roadside assistance, free courtesy transportation, and first maintenance visit is free.
- Manufacturers website: Chevrolet
- Up Next: 2020 Cadillac CT5-V sedan