Chevrolet is introducing the new 2023 Tahoe RST Performance Edition. It takes the RST trim up a notch with more power and speed than ever before for retail customers. That's thanks to Chevy performance enhancements to the chassis, suspension and other elements from the pursuit-rated Tahoe PPV package for police. Chevy says many of the vehicle’s dynamics calibrated by the same engineering team.
“The 2023 Tahoe RST Performance Edition is designed for those who want the best of both worlds — the everyday comfort and capability of a full-size SUV along with the driving excitement of a true performance vehicle,” said Scott Bell, Chevrolet vice president. “It leverages the proven capability of Chevy’s pursuit-rated police vehicle packages and motorsports success to offer a confident, engaging driving experience for our customers.”
2023 Tahoe RST Performance Edition
Outside, the special edition sports a black "RST" badge on the rear tailgate. Inside, it's equipped with sport pedals and the Luxury package which includes a bunch of active safety and driver convenience features.
The RST Performance model delivers power than any other Tahoe by introducing Chevrolet Performance induction and exhaust systems. They bump output of the standard 6.2L V-8 to 433 horsepower and 467 lb.-ft. of torque. That’s an increase of 13 hp and 7 lb.-ft. over the current RST’s available 6.2L engine. The V8 engine is paired with Chevy's 10-speed automatic transmission.
Standard features borrowed from the pursuit-rated Tahoe include:
- Police-spec springs, retuned dampers and police-spec chassis calibrations
- Police-spec lower ride height of 0.4 inch (10 mm) in front and 0.8 inch (20 mm) in the rear
- Brembo front and rear brakes with unique Torch Red calipers. The front brake rotors are nearly 25% larger in diameter than the standard RST system
- Performance-calibrated brake pedal feel
- Police-spec Firestone Firehawk Pursuit 275/55R20 tires with specific 20-inch aluminum wheels in black
Credit: NewspressUSA at the Detroit Auto Show.
“We have carefully tuned this vehicle to handle speed with confidence and control that is immediately apparent behind the wheel,” said Dominique Lester, chief engineer. “The pursuit-rated driving dynamics inspire excitement and confidence on the road, and we’re proud to have achieved this level of ride and handling in a full-size SUV largely through performance calibration and tuning.”
In terms of numbers, here's how they look:
- 0-60 mph in 5.78 seconds (compared to 5.95 seconds on base RST)
- Quarter mile in 14.2 seconds at 97 mph on the test track (compared to 14.4 seconds at 97 mph on base RST)
- 60-0 mph braking in 133 feet (compared to 139.4 feet on base RST)
- Top speed of 124 mph on the test track (compared to 112 mph on base RST)
Chevy says the RST Performance Edition is capable too - with the same 7,600-pound trailering capacity as the base RST when equipped with the 6.2L engine.
Availability and Pricing
The Tahoe RST Performance Edition package is priced from $8,525. It's only available on the 2023 Tahoe RST with the 6.2L V-8 engine. Production is slated to start in the fourth quarter at GM’s Arlington Assembly plant in Texas.
Photo Credit: Chevrolet.