If you live in Texas and you've leased or purchased an electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid, you may be eligible for a rebate through the Texas Emissions Reduction Program (TERP).
Texas EV Rebates
TERP offers up to a $2500 rebate for the purchase or lease of an electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle (hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are included in this too.) These rebates apply retroactively for vehicles purchased or leased on or after September 1, 2021. Rebates are as follows:
- Purchase or Lease (three-year or longer term): $2,500
- Lease (two-year to less than three-year term): $1,665 (66.6%)
- Lease (one-year to less than two-year term): $832.50 (33.3%)
There are only 2,000 rebates under this program available and they're offered on a first-come, first-served basis. TERP will accept applications until the rebates are depleted - or January 7, 2023, whichever occurs first. (Currently, the website shows 451 Hydrogen or Electric rebates awarded of the maximum 2,000.)
Information on the program may be found here. Eligible vehicles are listed here. (Automakers without dealerships in Texas are currently excluded from the program.) Instructions on how to apply and the forms you will need are here.
- Form 2 has to be signed by a representative of the dealership, from which you acquired the vehicle. Get this done when you purchase/lease the vehicle!!! (If you are working with a dealer I have trained, they should have copies of the forms waiting for you.)
- You will have to provide a copy of the vehicle title, if you are applying retroactively. If you are in the process of buying/leasing the vehicle, the dealership should provide you with a copy of the Application for Texas Title and Registration.
- There are other documents you will need to provide, but those are normally given to you at time of purchase (like the financing contract). If you paid cash, you’ll need a copy of the check. Make sure you include everything required by using the checklist in the form set.
Some utilities offer various incentives. Austin Energy's Plug-in EVerywhere subscription provides unlimited Level 2 charging at its Plug-In EVerywhere stations for the pilot price of $4.17/month. (DC Fast Chargers are not part of this plan). Austin Energy also offers EV owners a rebate of 50% of the cost to purchase and install an approved Level 2 charging station, up to $1,200.